Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Accountability

Ugh! The dreaded accountability is about to start.

Since the Holidays my discipline in regards to healthy activities has severely waned. As a direct consequence my weight has fluctuated up, uP, UP!, the scale. Since November-ish, my weight has increased by 12 pounds. My measurements have also changed by an inch or two here and there. My pants size is up from a 7/8 to a 9/10 - a very snug 9/10 at that.

                 Current Stats -                   Stats Prior to Holidays
                    Weight: 177 lbs                        165 lbs
                    BMI: 25.4                                23.7
                    Lean Body Mass: 117.8         124.8
                    Body Fat %: 33                       24.4
                    Wasit: 33                                  31
                    Hips: 42                                    36.5

The hardest part about these changes is that I just slipped back into the "overweight" category. I don't plan on staying here long though! By my birthday, June 1st, I WILL be back in the "normal" category.

One of the biggest contributing factors to this gain was my sudden belief that I no longer needed to journal and track my food intake. I really felt I had it all under control and I finally just knew how to eat right. For awhile, that was the case, yet slowly and surely, (as all the experts I read regularly ensure and confirm will happen), I was overestimating portion sizes and taking more than just a nibble here and there.

Food journaling is resoundingly the one most important tool you will ever have in your fat-loss and healthy-living "tool-belt." There is almost no dissent or disagreement in regards to this fact. Honestly, if there is any actual dissent or disagreement in regards to the importance and success of food journaling I have never heard nor come across it. This article from Kristin Kirkpatrick, MD is a great piece on the benefits and how to start food journaling yourself - Food Diary: Why This Weight Loss Tactic Is So Effective

As for me, I am back at SparkPeople.com, monitoring my food intake, calculating and re-configuring recipes, as well as noting my portion sizes, and mapping out the entire days menu. It is never perfect mind you. Sometimes I go over. Sometimes I go under. Yet most of the time I stay within my ranges and enjoy my foods. Filling full and satisfied.

Here is a sample report from SparkPeople.com for just one day of food tracking.


As the above shows, I'm getting back in there. My choices are healthier yet most importantly I am once again being accountable for what I am putting in my body and boy do I notice the difference! As these daily reports have shown me I definitely need to get my protein intake up, but even being slightly off, my performance at the gym has significantly increased! I do not "bonk" out in the middle of work outs. I am not starving when I get home either. My energy level is increasing and I am feeling less tired and worn down.

Seriously, it is an amazingly noticeable difference.

It is also going to be extremely important that I balance this out as triathlon training starts this coming weekend! My gym time will increase and my body will need to be fueled properly to survive the rigors of training.

So, in order to help me stay on track and remain accountable I am going to start a "Tuesday Update" post series. This will focus on what my week was like. What my weight and measurements are like and, sometimes, include a picture of me in my (current) favorite bikini. (YIKES!!!)

As well, I hope that seeing the changes I make and the struggles I have, will allow some motivation to others who are on this path as well.  So, here is a picture of my starting point along with my current stats again.



Current Stats -                                       
          Weight: 177 lbs                                    
           BMI: 25.4                                         
           Lean Body Mass: 117.8                    
           Body Fat %: 33                                
           Wasit: 33                                        
           Hips: 42                                              

GAME ON!!!!

"Try and fail, but don't fail to try!" ~Stephen Kaggwa

~TigressSky~

No comments:

Post a Comment